Discussion of the Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone. A limit exists on the number of alcoholic beverage licenses that can be issued in the Adams Morgan neighborhood through September 2, 2018. The current rules are as follows:
● The Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone extends approximately 1,400 feet in all directions from the intersection of Belmont Road and 18th Street, NW.
● No new licenses can be issued for taverns and multipurpose facilities within the zone.
● No nightclub licenses are permitted in the zone.
● No more than 10 licenses issued for taverns and multipurpose facilities within the zone.
● A restaurant holding a license within the zone is prohibited from changing its license class unless there are fewer than 10 taverns and multipurpose facilities within the zone.
● A license holder outside of the zone is not permitted to transfer its license to a location within the zone unless it is a restaurant, hotel or off-premise retailer.
The following are exempt from the terms of the Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone:
● Off-premise retailers (class A and B)